Case Study: Achieving 40% Sales Increase Quickly
Background to case study:
- Need for 25% increase in sales
- Within 6 months
- With a sales force that regarded the “imposed target” as “impossible”
- Short term: 40% increase in sales in 6 months
- Long term: a lasting organisational capability and motivation to achieve systematically excellent performance..in whatever field required
- Morale improved as everyone was more successful and no one was reducing the performance of the teams
- Leadership credibility was enhanced due to willingness and ability to lead by example, coach effectively before and after calls and manage low performance
- No additional sales training was needed
- Sales staff knew what to do (they had been well trained), the issue was doing it!
- Large difference between results of best and worst staff.
- “Training” alone was not enough to shift performance “that much that quickly”-we needed to instil powerful performance management capability to ensure high performers were appreciated and leveraged and low performers rapidly improved.
- 2 days input followed by 4 weeks systematic application in the field (content included how to get buy-in to pre-agreed targets and powerful methods of increasing the quality and quantity of genuine appreciation, coaching and constructive feedback so that performance was being addressed as a daily priority)
- 1 day input re how to deal with any staff who had not responded sufficiently. Some were not able to meet the new, higher, standards.